This Frankenstein survey is one of the most accurate and interesting ones that I have found. It tests almost every aspect of the book and asks actual questions that could be on a test. Give it a try and tell me what you got in the comments. If anyone has an exam on this book, it would be great to test out your knowledge on the book before. What better way to do this by completing a small survey!
In response to all the positive comments on the first quiz, I have made another one since many of our readers have asked for more. Enjoy!
1. How does Victor Frankenstein’s mother die?
- She is sentenced to death
- The monster chokes her
- She is shot
- She dies of a disease
- How does the monster learn to speak?
- His creator instructs him by reading to him and daily lectures
- His creator enhances his human like capacities with the help of alchemy
- By learning from Walton
- By listening to Felix teach Safie his language
- In Paradise Lost, to which characters does the monster relate to?
- Adam and Satan
- Adam and Eve
- The son of God
- Which of the these is NOT one of the famous alchemists of which Victor studies in his youth?
- Alain De Lille
5. Which of these books is NOT of those read by the monster?
- The inferno
- Paradise lost
- The Odyssey
6. What does Walton do after Victor dies?
- He doesn’t care, he laughs and continues with his work
- He leaves Geneva and with his painful memories
- He moves to the south where he changes careers and tries to forget his past life
- He swears vengeance upon him and plots to slay the monster
7. After successfully saving the girl, what event takes place right after?
- The girl, frightened by his looks, shrieks for help and kicks the monster
- He is awarded and given a home and promised safety
- He is shot
- He is damned and hunted away
8. In chapter 6, Justine Moritz confesses the murder of William, what is her consequence
- She is banned from the town for five years, she must come back a new person
- She is legally condemned to execution
- She is condemned to life imprisonment
- She is lynched before her trial, her body hanging from a tree
9. What is the monster’s motive when he kills Victor’s brother?
- He decided to kill everyone he is associated with and then end his own life
- He was cursed into doing so with dark alchemy
- This is his reaction when Victor attempts to create something else
- He is sick of all people relate to Victor in any way
10. What happens on Victor and Elizabeth’s wedding night?
- The monster assaults Elizabeth and slaughters her
- The monster assaults Victor and slaughters him
- The monster is intimidated and does not take his revenge
- Victor knew the monster would come so devises a plan to capture and kill him
Answers: 1:a 2:d 3:a 4:c 5:a 6:b 7:c 8:b 9:d 10:a
(Questions and answers inspired from Sparknotes.com)
- How do Elizabeth Lavenza and Victor Frankenstein meet in the original (1818) version of the text?
a) They are brother and sister.
b)They are best friends.
c)They are cousins.
d)They used to date.
- What happens when Victor takes Henry to the university?
a) Victor fantasies about Elizabeth.
b)Victor sees the monster he has created.
c)They fight each other
d)Talk of the sciences worsens Victor’s illness.
- What does Victor’s father hope to do by going to Belrive?
a) Help Victor and Elizabeth fall in love
b)Get away from religious oppression
c)Improve Victor’s moods
d) Become familiar with new culture
- What surprises Victor on the glacier?
a) The appearance of the monster
c)His culpability about Justine’s death
d)The resurfacing of his illness
- What text does the monster find the most influential?
b)Milton’s Paradise Lost
c)Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy
6.What does the monster beg Victor to do?
a) Put an end to his existence
b)Ask God for his mercy
c)Overlook all that he has revealed
d)Build him a friend
Inspired by http://www.sparknotes.com